Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago

Ten years ago I was in the 8th grade and living in my home town of Eagle, Idaho. I was just arriving to school when I heard the news of a plane that flew into the world trade center tower in Manhattan. I didn't really know what to think. I didn't know a lot about the world trade center, I didn't know a lot about terrorists, and I didn't know what the country would do in response to the attack. Shortly after the first tower was hit, there was news of another plane hitting the second world trade center tower. Many people seemed to panic at the school. I remember the mother of a friend of mine came to pick him up from school. I thought to myself, "why do so many people care about what's happening in the east? It's not going to effect us out here in Idaho..." I was wrong. There were many kids at my school who had relatives who were in New York when the attacks happened. My own dad was even supposed to fly out to Washington D.C. the next day for a business trip. I'm glad that he didn't because there was another attack on the pentagon. I never would have thought at that time in my life that such an event would scar the United States forever. The attacks on the world trade center may have left a hole in our hearts but it also made our hearts a lot bigger. The event brought Americans closer together. I'm so grateful for all of the heroes that sacrificed their lives to save others.  They have left a legacy that will never be forgotten and one that will live on in history of America and one that brought the country together.

No comments:

Post a Comment